It is with pleasure that we introduce our new report on Regulation and consumer protection in a converging environment.
The report describes and analyses the various resources, strategies and tools regulators need to improve the enforcement of national laws, rules and regulations governing consumer protection in a converging environment. The “golden rules for convergence” need to balance the following regulatory objectives:
- Encourage investment in high-speed networks and advanced technological solutions ;
- Protect innovators, creators and consumers from counterfeiting and piracy associated with the online distribution ;
- Promote and safeguard e-commerce ;
- Ensure consumers have all the information they need to make informed choices and have adequate protection and redress mechanism if things go wrong ;
- Create a simpler, clearer regulatory framework and level playing field for distributors of content.